Friday, August 29, 2014

Freedom from Facebook

I read about the 99 days of Freedom  experiment about two weeks ago. It was linked in this interesting article here . As soon as I read it, I knew that, yes, this was for me. Ever since July, I've been feeling this urge to cut back on my social networking time, for many reasons:

~ I didn't want my kids seeing me constantly on a screen. I limit their screen time, and it doesn't feel right for me to be hopping on a device all day long. 

~ Facebook is addictive. There is a reason it is nicknamed Crackbook. 

~ I noticed I would think of taking a picture of something, simply to post on Facebook, rather than as a memory I wanted to have for my family. 

~ Facebook makes me feel even more lonely and isolated. Isn't that weird, as supposedly I have something like 300 "friends"?

~ I'm a people watcher and, yes, I'm curious and nosy. I'm one of those people who loves to just sit in the airport and watch people. If I had hours to kill and I lived near a major airport, I would do this regularly. So, it is hard to be disciplined to just log in to Facebook to check a message, or visit a useful group. That newsfeed just sucks me in, and then I've wasted 30 minutes of my life, and I don't even feel better (see above). 

~ Nostaliga for the days before constant connection has been growing within me. I didn't use email until I was in my early 20s, I didn't get my first cell phone until I was about 25, and it was simple phone. I did buy into the smart phone craze for a few years. I had a blackberry and then an android. But, I very mindfully gave up my smartphone about 2 years ago, and it was a great decision. I think back to the days before social networking, and I remember actually writing letters (and then, emails) to friends, having phone conversations with friends, and how nice it felt to not have a platform to be costa try comparing yourself to (it is hard to not do this, though I'm sure some manage to use social networking without the grass is always greener game going on in their head).

~ I have a very long list of handwork and crafts that I want to get done, not to mention a house to (sorta) keep clean and children to play with. Facebook is a time sucker. I've been amazed at how much I can accomplish on the days that I very mindfully do not log in. Even checking Facebook for 5 minutes each time, here and there, adds up and is very disruptive to the rhythm of our day. 

----------------

So, I logged out of Facebook last Saturday and haven't looked back. It will be one week tomorrow, and each day that goes by, my day to day life without using Facebook feels more and more normal. The first few days, I felt twitchy, like I didn't know what to do with those spare moments that I'd normally hop on to Facebook for a quick second. When I feel that twitch now, I pick up a knitting project or go sit and play with a child, and it feels better. I'll be honest that my week has been very very quiet and I've pretty much had no contact with friends, or anyone outside of my home. I have had one friend email me (wow! It has bee a while since I had a personal email, lol), and a couple of texts from friends. I've decide to spend my internet time, early in the mornings before children wake, posting on my blog. I think with the new school year starting next week, it'll be wonderful to have to place to document our days, for memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment